Purple potato has been one of the favorite and popular foods by many as it can be enjoyed in a number of dishes. Although it often gets a bad rap due to its high starch content, purple potato is actually a good addition to your diet as it is undoubtedly healthy.
So, to make you love this blue-purplish-colored potato even more, here are some of the luscious recipes that you may want to try at home aside from simply boiling it!
1. Purple Potato Pie
Ingredients: 1 purple potato, 25g fine granulated sugar, 1 egg, 4 slices of bread, 3 spoons of corn starch, an appropriate amount of water, a little black sesame
- Peel and dice the purple potato, then steam it in a pot.
- Combine cornstarch and water.
- Add sugar and water starch into the steamed purple potatoes. Stir-fry over medium-low heat until thick.
- Cut the bread and roll it into thin slices. Then put the potato filling.
- Brush the edge with egg liquid, fold in half, and compact using a fork.
- Brush egg liquid on the surface, sprinkle some sesame seeds, put it into the preheated oven and bake at 180 degrees for 15 minutes until golden brown.
2. Honey Purple Potato Ice Cream
Ingredients: 170ml whole milk, 130g purple sweet potato, 50g honey, 150ml light cream
- Peel the potatoes and put them in a bowl. Cover it with a layer of plastic wrap and heat in a microwave until cooked.
- Once it cools down, mash the purple potatoes and put it into the mixer and add milk and honey. Turn on the mixer and beat evenly. (Beat longer if you want a delicate texture.)
- Pour the beaten purple potato milk liquid in a large bowl and seal. Put it in a refrigerator until cold, then remove and add light cream and mix well.
- Take out the ice cream bucket and assemble the mixing machine. Pour the ice cream paste and stir for about 15 minutes until the volume doubled and becomes thicker.
- Enjoy your freshly-stirred ice cream!
3. Frozen Purple Potato Cheese
Ingredients: 125g cream cheese, 150g purple potato puree, 60g cooked purple potato cubes, 50+30g milk, 130g light cream, 50g white sugar, 1 gelatin slice
- Steam the purple potatoes, then peel and cut open. Partly dice then set aside.
- Soak the gelatin in cold water. Drain and add 30g of milk until the insulated water melts.
- Melt the cream cheese by heat and water, add white sugar, and beat evenly.
- Add the purple potato puree and mix well. Add the melted gelatin milk liquid and mix it well.
- Add the mixed purple potato cheese paste and mix well. For the bottom container, wrap a layer of tin foil and pour half of the cheese paste. Sprinkle a layer of purple potato slices then pour the remaining cheese paste. Smooth the surface slightly then refrigerate for more than 4 hours.
- When demolding, you can put the mold on a thin tall cup and blow it around using a hairdryer then cover it with a hot towel. *Decorate when desired.
4. Purple Potato Glutinous Rice Cake
Ingredients: 370g steamed purple potato, 60g glutinous rice flour, 35g sugar, 60g light cream, a moderate amount of white sesame
- Wash and cut the purple potatoes.
- Steam in the pot until it can be pierced using chopsticks. Then peel and add white sugar while hot.
- Mash and add light cream. Sieve into glutinous rice flour.
- Wear gloves and knead the mixture into a smooth purple potato dough.
- Take about 32 grams of purple potato dough and form a dough. *You can make around 16 quantities.
- Press flat then put some white sesame on the surface.
- Put the dough on the baking tray and put it in the middle layer of the preheated oven. Bake the upper and lower tubes at 180 degrees for about 13 minutes.
5. Yogurt and Purple Potato Puree
Ingredients: Purple potato, yogurt, honey, peanuts (or nuts)
- Wash the purple potatoes then peel and cut them into sections.
- Steam them in the pot.
- While steaming, prepare some nuts and peanut kernels.
- After steaming the purple potatoes, mash it and add honey then mix well.
- Once the purple potatoes are well mixed, place them on a plate and shape them slightly. Pour the yogurt and sprinkle some crushed nuts.
6. Purple Potato Sesame Balls
Ingredients: 100g purple potato, 100g glutinous rice flour, a small amount of white sugar, an appropriate amount of white sesame
- Put the sugar into warm water then set aside.
- Steam the purple potatoes, peel them and mash with a rolling pin.
- Mix the purple potatoes and glutinous rice flour, then slowly add the warm sweet water to the dough.
- Mold the dough into small round shapes, then cover the surface with sesame seeds.
- Put oil in the pan, put it in heat then roll the sesame-coated balls along the side of the pan. Once the oil boils, the sesame balls will start to float.
- Remember to lightly press the sesame balls for several times until the balls are golden brown. *It will take about 5 minutes to fry the sesame balls.
7. Coconut Squash Purple Potato Sticky Rice Dumpling
Ingredients: purple potato, pumpkin, glutinous rice flour, salad oil, white sugar, coconut
- Steam the purple potatoes, then peel and mash it. *You can add some sugar if you like it sweet.
- Dice and steam the pumpkin. Peel and mash it into a puree.
- Add glutinous rice flour to the pumpkin puree.
- Knead into a softer dough.
- Take a small portion of dough, press flat put a filling and shape into a ball.
- Brush a thin layer of oil on the surface of the steamer then place the glutinous rice balls. Steam for about 10 minutes on high heat.
- Take a plate and spread the shredded coconut. Take out the glutinous rice balls while hot and roll them on the shredded coconut.
8. Purple Potato Toast
Ingredients: 250g high powder, 2.5kg yeast, 30g salt, 138 water, 10g water, 10g milk powder, 25g egg, 25g butter, 150g purple potato (stuffing), 38 sugar, 30g butter
- Knead the dough until expanded. Add butter and knead well. The dough will be 2 times larger if fermented in a warm place.
- Steam the purple potatoes, crush them and mix sugar and water while hot.
- Take out the dough after it is completely fermented. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Put the purple potato stuffing into the fresh-keeping bag and shape it into a rectangular shape.
- Roll out the dough and put the potato filling then ferment.
- Brush egg liquid on the surface then put the dough in the oven at 180 degrees for 40 minutes.
- Take it out and leave the oven to cool.
9. Taro Purple Potato Cake Roll
Ingredients: 4 eggs, 80g low powder, 50g powdered sugar, 25g salad oil, 50ml milk, lemon juice, purple potato, taro, 30-35ml pure milk, 20g condensed milk
- In water and oil-free basin, separate the egg white from the egg yolk. Preheat the oven at 180 degrees and spread the baking oil paper on the baking tray.
- Add flour and salad oil, mix well then add milk. Add the sieved low powder and mix well to form an egg yolk paste.
- Add a little lemon juice to the egg white. Use an electric beater to mix the egg white and sugar.
- Take one-third of the egg yolk paste and mix. Pour the remaining egg white and mix well.
- Pour the cake batter into the baking tray and smooth the surface using a spatula. Gently shake it and put it in the oven at 180 degrees, lower and middle fire, and bake for 12 minutes.
- Take out and tear off the baking paper, then let it cool.
- Slice the taro and purple potato. Steam and mash, sieve then add pure milk and condensed milk. Mix well and let it cool.
- Remove the baking paper from the cake slice and smear the taro and purple potato fillings. Roll up the oil baking paper and put it in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
10. Purple Potato Tremella Soup
Ingredients: tremella, purple potato, raisin, rock sugar
- Soak the tremella in warm water overnight.
- Wash and peel the purple potatoes.
- Cut the purple potatoes into small pieces.
- Put the white fungus (tremella) in the pot and boil it.
- Add the diced purple potatoes, rock sugar, and raisins.
- Bring to boil then turn to low heat and boil for 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat once the purple potato and white fungus soup become sticky.
- Let it cool and enjoy!